Auckland Floods Information and Assistance

NOTE: This has been pulled together from various sources and was current at time of posting

A new information centre has opened at the Fickling Centre and will be open from 12pm today (Wednesday) It will be staffed by government welfare and support services to provide assistance.

Location: Hillsborough Room, Fickling Convention Centre

546 Mount Albert Road, Three Kings

Today: Open from 12pm, closing at 5pm

From tomorrow until further notice: 9am-5pm daily

The centre is staffed by government welfare and support services to provide needs assessments and offer support, including accommodation if needed.


From MSD:

The three current Civil Defence Centres are:

WEST- St Leonards Road School, 15 Saint Leonards Road, Kelston

NORTH- Massey University Albany Campus, Albany Expressway SH17

SOUTH- Mana Tukutuku, 32 Riverton Drive, Randwick Park

If you or anyone in your community needs urgent accommodation assistance, phone 0800 22 22 00

In terms of Financial Support, there are lots of ways Work and Income can help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don’t have to be on a benefit.

In emergencies, Work and Income can help with costs if you don’t have any other way of paying.

We can help with:

·       medical costs

·       bedding

·       food

·       power bills

·       repairs or replacing appliances

·       emergency accommodation costs

·       loss of income because you can’t work.

Work and Income also provides other help such as benefits and housing assistance. Everyone’s situation is different, so what you qualify for will depend on your situation.

You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.


Call on 0800 100 400 for help with emergency costs.

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding. You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment. In most cases it doesn’t matter what your income is or what assets you have.

These can help with:

·Emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed.

·Accommodation costs if you have been evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as a motel, hotel or temporary rental accommodation.

·Loss of income due to an inability to work caused by the flooding.

·Payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Call Work and Income on 0800 100 400 for more information.

Help with other costs

Depending on your situation, there are other ways that Work and Income may be able to help you and your family with things like medical costs, bedding, food, rent, power bills, repairs or replacing appliances.

You don’t need to be on a benefit to get help, it’s also available to people on a low income. However, you may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

More information can be found at or by calling 0800 559 009.

Waste disposal and storm debris

Any scheduled kerbside collections will continue unless a specific area is informed of cancellation.

Storm debris and green waste

Public land: report storm debris or fallen trees and vegetation on public land to Auckland Council on 0800 22 2200 or on our website ( via our ‘Report a problem’ tool.

Streams and waterways: for significant blockages or debris (including vehicles) in streams and waterways, please phone 0800 22 22 00 or

Private land: storm debris on private land as result of the storm event can be taken to the Waitakere Transfer Station.

­Phone ahead – You will need to provide your name, address and vehicle registration to make the process easy at the gate. There is no cost for the disposal of storm debris.

Building waste

Contact your insurer first: confirm the process for disposing of building-related debris, including soft furnishings and damaged household items with your insurance company before going to a transfer station.

You can find more information and advice on the Insurance Council website.

If you don’t have insurance or a way of getting to a transfer station, phone us on 0800 22 22 00 so we can look at the best option to help you. Please don’t dispose of waste by illegal dumping. You can report illegal dumping to the council on 0800 NO DUMP

Resilient Communities North Auckland:

And for anyone feeling the mental strain:


 South Seas Flood Relief Response line: 0800 311 331

New Pacific Response Hub open in Mangere to help South Auckland communities impacted by the floods: Congregation Church of Jesus, 2 Waddon Place, Mangere